Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

My Cinderella Man

Though the last couple of weeks have been a challenge for me physically, this time has also been like heaven.  When bringing a brand new baby home life can be helter skelter.  Routines don't seem to exist anymore.  The goals we set out to accomplish get forgotten.  With the birth of our new little songbird, a time warp was engaged.  Time stood still (especially that last little bit of labor and delivery).  The first moment I set my eyes on our baby girl thrust me into the moment, the present.  I was exhausted, thankful with the relief of no longer being in pain.  But, all of that became a side issue, like a dust bunny in the corner.  There she was, an intimate partner in life, yet a stranger as well.  She was beautiful.  Still is.  And cute as all get out.  

With DJ by my side holding our Songbird, the nurses and doctor worked on me to keep me from saying good-bye to this world.  Things in the room began to get fuzzy like an old black and white TV, and my ears started to ring and the sounds in the room were as if they were filtered with cotton in my ears.  I lost too much blood.  All the while my man stood by me like a sentry, quiet, gentle, yet a very strong presence that I could hold onto.  During this time of rushed activity around me, I felt at peace.  I felt calm.  In the background I could hear him speak to our little girl, comforting her and letting her know that she was so very welcome in this world.  I couldn't hear exactly what he was saying.  I just heard his voice.  And two of us in that room were comforted with the warmth of his voice.

At home, DJ insisted that I lay on the couch.  He would do all the other chores.  My job was to get better, to recuperate, to rebuild my strength, and nourish our little hatchling.  All the cooking, cleaning, laundry, dishes, errands, and chores...of any kind....were done by my Cinderella Man.  My slightest wish was his command.  He wouldn't let me do anything, and demanded that I obey him for once.  I agreed.  I felt like I had been hit by a truck. With the pain in my sacrum and tailbone, getting off of the couch took me about a minute's worth of effort and groaning before I could stand upright.  I was also out of breath when walking from room to room due to a very low hemoglobin.  So, Cinderella Man did it all. 

We have been using cloth diapers because our little one broke out in a terrible, painful rash from paper diapers.  We even tried the pure and natural, organic paper diapers.  The moment we took the disposable diaper off of her one night it was as if peace descended upon the earth.  She immediately quit crying.  We have used cloth diapers since.  This means my Cinderella Man has been rinsing, washing, drying and folding diapers.  You would be amazed at how many diapers a little wee one can go through at this age.  Those disposable ones are deceiving.  In the beginning, while trying to learn our little songbird's sleep, wake, and diapering patterns, Cinderella Man would wash diapers three times a day, along with our other laundry.

For some reason, the dishes seemed to multiply by the number of diapers that also needed to be washed.  DJ would do dishes multiple times during the day.  We don't have a dishwasher.  So, all those dishes were done in the sink by my Cinderella Man, who also did the cooking.  He would cook me three square meals a day.  Make tea for me, fill up my water bottle, and take care of TJ as well.  When I needed to sleep, DJ would hold our beautiful Songbird and entertain our amazing four year old.

Just now, as I was nursing our little bundle of cuteness and joy, I had a coughing fit which is extremely painful due to the injury to my lower spine.  I called out to DJ for something wet and quick!  He ran to the freezer and pulled out my water bottle and rushed it to me.  At some point this morning,  DJ had put my water bottle in the freezer.  He knows that my preference is to drink cold water instead of room temperature water.  He did this for me without me knowing it.

DJ does so many things for me through out the day.  I can't even name all of them.  But, what is more impressive is his attitude while doing all that he does.  He demands that I take this treatment from him, this selfless service, so that I can heal, so that I can be the person I am truly meant to be, one at peace, joy, and in love.     Thank you, Cinderella Man!  I love you so much!  I cannot imagine life without you!

1 comment: